Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Switch

so I'm convinced that at some point in the hospital when Rhena made her debut that Troy got distracted.

I mean... there was about a half hour or so where the two of them went somewhere to do stuff while I was getting stuff put back into me and getting all stitched up. Not for nothing, but we had been running on very little sleep, and it's not like she came out all talking and saying, "Hi, I'm Rhena, will you hold my hand so I don't get lost????"

What if Troy turned his head and they switched her with some other kid? Highly doubtful, I know... but still.


I mean.... sure, she's got our temperament, our flair for being the center of attention, my vocal chords, Troy's red hair.... (oh, and a fabulous personality, thank-you-very-much-I'm-SURE-she-got-that-from-me!!!)

but this appetite thing.... I mean, she sure has the drinking down pat, but what is it about her not liking solid foods??? helllllllo! red flag!!!! are you sure this is the same kid you pulled out of me????


I keep telling her what she's missing, and if she just trusts me and eats something..... anything.... that cappuccino-heath-bar-blizzards are not far behind! She is on the beginning of a venture into culinary delight... filled with fruits, vegetables, meats, pastas, cheeses, sauces, breads, desserts.... *drool*

but yet she resists.

I don't get it. Should I be adding a clove of garlic to her cereal, perhaps with some fresh cracked pepper? Perhaps I should quickly saute it and serve with drawn butter? I'm at a loss, people. I really am.


My little booger has now learned to laugh with her mouth closed. That whole "sneaking the food in while she's laughing" trick lasted all of about three times. When I prayed for a smart child, this isn't exactly what I had in mind.


we made a little progress.... she almost ate a whole tablespoon of cereal a few times, then lost major ground when we started adding applesauce and peas. she did like the peas a little better than the applesauce, but now she's even passing on the plain cereal.

Essentially, we're now behind where we started, cause now she won't eat the food, AND she's hip to our distract-and-shove methods.

I'm following the 'persistent and consistent' advice my pediatrician gave us, but I can't help feeling a little exasperated. I just find it so damn strange that a product of the two biggest fans of food and eating in general has such a distaste for solids.

Maybe she's holding out for some chicken stuffed with asparagus, prosciutto, garlic and goat cheese. I can't say I blame her.

3 comments:

Marianna said...

lol... you are such a funny gal! Now I don't know much about the little rug rats, but I do hear that they go thru these phases where they don't want to eat & then they turn into miniature hoovers. But yes, she'll find out the magic of pasta... mmmm with a side of pasta... mmmmm and don't forget pasta for dessert... lol. And who knows. She may turn out to be one of those Skinny Minnies. Darn those types. I have enough hips for the both of us.

Hugs!

Susie said...

Never fear! She will get the hang of it! Liam took about 2 months before he started sucking it down. One day you will be feeding her and notice that she keeps opening her mouth like a bird - more more more! Just keep trying! Have you tried mixing some fruit into the cereal? Just enough for a mild taste. She'll be eating Murry's French Toast Sticks before you know it. XOXO!

CheekyMoo said...

My daughter was the same way. That child wouldn't even eat the birthday cake when she turned one. Most kids shove it all over their face? Not her. She was unimpressed. My son...now he's more like it. If he can catch it he's going to eat it. I don't know where he puts it all either. He'll wake me up at 1 in the morning for pb&j. So in reality, they're all a pain in the arse.