Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Culture Shock

Well--- as much as I *wanted* to make Wednesday my Culture Days.... things just didn't pan out that way these past two weeks. first we had Rhena's doctor appointment.... so that screwed the pooch for THAT week....


and this week I was busy with the in-laws.


although I do have to say I did have some exposure to *a* culture.....


in a cult-ish red necked way I suppose NASCAR fans kinda make up their own culture... if not their very own species.



I played the good daughter-in-law, though.... I participated in five whole days of subjection to NASCAR.


I gotta say---- I just don't get it. I mean, sure--- different strokes for different folks, but I just can't get the whole fascination with guys driving cars. TRUST ME.... I've had many many people point out the many many facets of the hillbilly highway.... and it just doesn't work for me.


I don't care about the engineering standpoint of the vehicles.
I don't care about the mechanical superiority of the engines.
I don't care about the sponsorship.
I don't care about the personal lives of these guys.


I think it's boring, and their t-shirts are downright tacky.


so why is it that so many NASCAR folk out there try to convince me otherwise? you don't see me trolling though living rooms and camp grounds across America telling these people the virtues of losing weight, not drinking beer from koozies, and well... maybe putting down the can of Skoal.

That's not fair... I shouldn't generalize. I know there's some perfectly normal people out there that enjoy cars going fast..... but y'all got to admit..... everyone knows at least one of THOSE race fans..... you know.... the kind that looks at their sister in that special kind of way?


oh well---- other than the over-abundance of NASCAR... it was a good visit. They're good people, and we're starting to act like a real family. I guess the biggest test will be when we get both sides of the family together for Rhena's birthday..... I mean; stranger things have happened!

For starters.... I actually survived 5 days of NASCAR. --- now THAT'S something I never would have bet on.


speaking of betting.... don't forget to put your vote in for this week's match-up. I think Derek was right--- this pairing *was* intended as a zing for him.... and deep down I'm pulling for RuPaul.

so go vote!!!

3 comments:

CheekyMoo said...

You know I think they should do women a big favor as far as Nascar goes. Make the drivers drive naked. Men get to watch and enjoy, and so do we.

Wait...can we pick which ones are naked or clothed? I better rethink this.

My psychic abilities tell me that Scott is the weakest link on AI tonight. Ok I lied. I've got no ESP skills. And I want Anthony to go anyway. Hearing him use the phrase "Shake my bootie" made me want to throw up a little.

I admire you for putting up with the Nascar.

Marianna said...

It is sooooo nice to have you back! I sure as heck missed your trash talk, sistah!

And I'm glad to see you didn't lose any IQ points. Phew! You know, that's always a concern when you involve NASCAR for that length of time.

Muwah!

Elvis said...

I can’t help but post a reply to this one, sis. Not only do I figure you need a casual NASCAR fan’s contribution, but at least some other opinion than your normal acolyte submissions.
It took me quite a long time to accept and adapt to the NASCAR thing. Hell – you know I didn’t care more about NASCAR (or even KNOW about it) than I did crochet. But – after meeting and hooking up with the Wife™ did I come to realize that there be something brewing south of the Mason-Dixon besides whiskey malts…
All in all – I can take it or leave it – but there are particular times that the racing is damn exciting! Of course – it’s only for a few laps of neck-and-neck blur-speed turns and bumps, and maybe a few 4-wide breath-taking moments – but I have to appreciate the talent some of these guys have in keeping the cars ON the track sometimes. C’mon, kid – you’ve driven on the NJ highways – you know how it is flying down the shore, weaving in and out of the family vans, one eye checking the space in-between cars, the other looking for the Trooper hideout, adjusting the radio, working the windows AND snacking on something along the way. How come the entire NASCAR circuit isn’t filled with NJ drivers certainly baffles me. But – these guys might just handle Route 18 just before rush hour.
Tell me you wouldn’t pay hard money to put Dad in one of those races! Shit – he would want to do a road course in reverse – and I’ll be Cell Block D’s bitch if he wouldn’t make them “professionals” look REAL bad.
Anyways – you’re right on a lot of NASCAR points. It’s all really horseshit – but the greater part of America digs that crap – so we gotta deal with it. And easy on the tacky tee shirt thing. That is a staple of my father-in-law’s wardrobe.

Vrroooom! And in case you were wondering (you weren’t) – Elvis was a great race driver.