Sunday, February 06, 2005

Girls' Night Out

So THAT was fun!!!!


Friday night, my girlfriend Jennifer and I went out to dinner in the city.

we went to a place called English is Italian. Apparently, it's owned by the same restaurant group that owns Rum Jungle in Vegas. and APPARENTLY, Rum Jungle is a restaurant, not just a place to get smashed off my rocker on Monday nights in Vegas???? WHO KNEW?


But back to the night out. Did I mention I got to go out a night without the baby???? IT WAS GREAT!!!!

As soon as I got Rhena in the car, she began to scream her head off.... and proceeded to do so until we reached Derek and Dawn's some half hour later. I'm thinking she's still a little resentful from the entire day she spent in the back seat on the way back from North Carolina?

But no matter--- I had makeup on, and there was no turning back!

Got her to my bro's, gave a paltry list of instructions to Dawn, (which, in retrospect, is a joke. My sister in Law has like a MEDAL in motherhood.... three kids that are polite AND cute. what the hell could I possibly tell HER that she hasn't already done blindfolded while changing a diaper?) anyways--- juiced the kid up a little with a few more shots of milk, then headed out.

Out is such a powerful word. it means a lot of different things to many types of people. For the Homosexual Culture, I imagine it's a scary yet liberating word. For a teenager with a driver's license... probably euphoric. I guess the common thread though is that it insinuates freedom. ESPECIALLY to parents.

I was OUT. no crying, no wet diapers, no puke, no drool, no high-pitched conversations and loud toys. New York City never seemed so blissfully quiet.

don't get me wrong... I love my little pooper, it was just really really nice to get out.

The restaurant itself was immaterial... though I did enjoy the dinner. (3 main 'courses', each filled with a sampling of foods representative of that course. the courses were antipasto, pastas, and meats... and I was able to find a favorite and a "I'll never need to try that again in my life" food from each course.)

But again--- it was nice to be out. I ate, I drank wine, and I didn't call to check on Rhena. SO thanks to Jen, cause you could say I really needed that.

But thanks also to Rhena for smiling at me when I came to pick her up again. That's the kind of stuff I need even more.

No comments: