Sunday, May 22, 2005

it's begun

well--- I knew this day would happen, but now that Troy and I actually went there.... I'm wistfully sitting on the couch wondering if this is the right time, and couldn't this have waited another year or so?


That's right, dear readers.... even though Troy and I have discussed this in the past... today was the first time the talk wasn't 'just talk'..... and I'm a little nervous.


Oh, start breathing again--- you crazy reader! I'm talking about SCHOOL. Today, on the way home from church, Troy and I started talking about schools for Rhena.


I mean... we had talked about private vs public before... when I was pregnant and all.... but that was NevaDUH, and before we even knew what kind of monster was cooking in me. And yes.. I know, she's not even one yet, but it's better in my mind to have some kind of plan.


So today--- the talk was very real. As it stands... Troy is pushing for Catholic School. Me? I'm leaning towards public.

There's big and basic stuff we agree on: Rhena's moral fiber should be primarily taught at home, by us. We want her to be safe wherever her education happens. We want the best available education for her. We'd prefer she went someplace that has physical education, as well as music, extra curricular activities, and attention placed on special needs children, whether it be due to learning disabilities or programs geared towards gifted children.

Troy thinks that by her going to a Catholic School, she will be able to focus on her work without the pressures of drugs, alcohol, and gangs.... which is highly understandable. However, as much as these are different times then when we grew up, I have yet to hear about too many 1st grade public school ganstas pushing crack.

I guess my thought is that no matter where you go... be it public, private, whatever... there will be challenges. Any child, any where, no matter their educational, economical or social status is susceptible to being pressured by drugs, alcohol, sex, and a slew of other parental no-no's for kids. Sure, the stereo types exist of the low-income kids bringing dirt, drugs, and danger into the public schools. But sometimes the kids in private schools have easier access to the 'bad stuff' cause their parents are too busy making money to raise them properly and prevent them from going too far astray.

So let the parenting begin. I mean... I'm totally up to the challenge of being involved in Rhena's life, and trying to teach her how to have a good life... like my and troy's parents taught us. And while part of me will want to wrap her in my arms so tight for the rest of her life so that no harm befalls on her.... the other part is eager to see my baby grow into a strong young woman who will think for herself.

so I guess the bottom line is that we'll make the best decision we can when the time comes. ....I'm learning that it's all you really can do, anyway. --- It's what my parents and Troy's parents did.... and sure, there may have been some bumps in the road along the way, but I couldn't be happier for who I am and who Troy is today. I only pray that Rhena will someday be able to say the same thing.

6 comments:

Book Bums said...

I agree with you...public school is the way to go IF you are fortunate enough to live in a good school district. You're paying the taxes for it...you might as well use it!

Marianna said...

I went to a Catholic school from 3-8 grade (lol, funny considering I'm Greek), then public HS. My private schooling was very much more individualized in training compared to this MASSIVE public HS I went to. The worst thing I was exposed to in private school was a gal was smoking a cigarette in the bathroom. OOOH BAAAD! lol... but there were no pressures, no fear of clothing being an issue... I had a small class ~ I graduated with less than 40 kids in private school... compare that with almost 400 in public 12th grade graduation. Yeah, I was a number, not a person.

It's a judgment call... based on both of y'alls best research. Get to studying!

:)
M~

CheekyMoo said...

Well I'll throw in my two cents here for what it's worth. My children both attend private school. It's not a Catholic school, we're not Catholic. It is a Christian school though. The schools in Arizona are substandard in my opinion.

It is important to me that they both be taught about character, and so many schools now are just too politically correct. My daughter attended public school, and I could tell you stories that will make you lose sleep.

The private school they attend isn't perfect of course. I think it's a happy medium between public and a strict Catholic school. My daughter will be 13 soon. Most 13 year old girls that you see now are far beyond their years. They wear thongs, make-up, inappropriate clothing, and are just these girls trying to look like grown women. My daughter and her friends play with Bratz dolls, no one wears make-up, she's never even asked. Boys still pull her hair to get her attention instead of trying to put their hands down her pants already, and yes that is happening everywhere now at that age. It's like a little world where things still move at the right pace, and all is right with our children. I can go to sleep at night knowing she's still a little girl and not trying to grow up too fast.

But a lot of that does come from me. I emphasize to her that you are only a child for so long. Other girls may be doing these things, but she will not be. She doesn't have access to the internet without my supervision, any of those things. I'm old fashioned when it comes to parenting. And I tell her being a grown up is not what it's cracked up to be. Stay a little girl as long as you can! So wherever you choose, I have a feeling Rhena will grow up just fine, she'll be a smart and sassy chick just like her Mom and you'll do the best you can. I just like the structure that we have, that she doesn't have to feel pressured to worry about hair, make-up, and boys already. She's still a little girl!

Taylor said...

I tend to bring up this subject alot with my husband, even though our daughter is only 4 months old. I think it is a difficult decision; there are pros and cons with both choices. I am sure you will make the right decision ;)

Carrie said...

Ang--- you crack me up--- like I would announce that on my blog without telling you first??? silly silly girl!


though--- now you have me thinking! just kidding--- we're still a long ways away from Monster II--- the second coming.

the school thing is still on my mind. but like I said, we'll just have to do the best we can when the time comes. Bottom line.. if we have to make a decision when she's 1, 2, 3, or whenever.. (some schools make you register super-early) we'll go with the schooling that is the best all around at the time.

Tee/Tracy said...

My oldest son goes to public school and sometimes I think he'd do better in private. If we could afford it, I would probably send him - mainly for smaller class size. Individual attention benefits him in a HUGE way, and he isn't getting that in his large public school class. We have to make the best of it though. I work with him at home as well, and over the summer. We just try to stay on top of things as soon as we see even a small problem and keep in constant communication with his teacher.

As for the 3 yr. old, the affordable "pre-schools" around here are nothing more than daycare, so we won't bother. (Anything worth sending him to costs an arm and a leg.) We're hoping they'll start a Pre-k program before he's old enough. (We just moved here and our older son had the benefit of a year in Pre-k where we used to live.)

You have to make the decisions that are right for you and your child on an individual basis.

Good luck - it's hard work, and ever changing.