Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Family Ties

so not sure if I had said it or not, but the parents came down for a long weekend.


just in case you were wondering where I was and all....


but yeah. they left Thursday afternoon, and got here at some un-Godly hour Thursday night-slash-Friday morning.


It was really good to have them here... they saw and played with the pooper.... they got to see our new digs here in the promised land.... and they got to see Troy, too. They hadn't seen him since January... so all sorts of family bonding was going on.


For every time I miss the family being close, I know I personally made the right decision to go away for school. I've definitley come to terms with the balance of my emotional eco-system... I suppose having 15 years to think about it has helped.... but in all honesty.... it's a good balance.


I definitely miss my family, and I am jealous of people who can just 'pop over' to their moms's brother's or cousin's house to hang out, or attend a party or lunch, or whatever. The concept of having someone (meaning a family member or close friend we actually trust with our only child) watch Rhena so Troy and I can have a few hours alone outside of the house is well beyond my imagination. I could go on and on.


But I think of all I have gained by giving up the proximity of family. My education, my professional life (may it rest in peace... it was a good professional life!), my travels, my friends.... the house we live in now, my husband and my child are all a result of me going away.

balance.


I've said before how happy I am with my life.... true... a visit from the family always makes me a little wistful when they leave.... but perhaps it's in the goodbyes that I gain the ability to really appreciate the hellos.

Thanks again for a good visit, Mom and Dad!!!!

1 comment:

Marianna said...

lol... and I couldn't be happier that mine is in VA & I live in TX!

:)