Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I love this place!!!

So... today on Wednesday's dish of culture....

I took the Beaner downtown to see an exhibit featuring Venetian glass art. some of the pieces were truly breath-taking..... and to think that many were created in the 1930's.... definitely cool.


So we also walked around a little, and stopped at my new favorite grocery store. They have the best little meat counter.... I had picked up some stuffed pork chops when I did that purses platforms and power exhibit....


Then I special ordered some more chops (this time stuffed with wild rice instead of bread stuffing) when Troy's parents were here....


Today.... I picked up two breasts of chicken stuffed with asparagus, prosciutto and goat cheese (rubbed with garlic, too). I can't wait. Got a nice french wine to go with the birds, and I'll probably make some alfredo pasta to go on the side. I want a side dish, but nothing too overpowering.


but tonight I think is a reason to celebrate. I'm starting to get out of this funk of desperate loneliness, and getting my ass moving again. I know, I know... it takes time to get settled in a new place... and I can't expect to have the friends we've been so fortunate to have in our past lives of Seattle and Reno... at least not overnight.

but the past few weeks threw me for a loop, and I found that I was mentally secluding myself, and finding excuses not to go anywhere. Granted, I've gotten a fair share of cooking and cleaning done, but the soul was aching to see something other than the walls of our house.

and yes... I did get out when Troy's parents were here.... and as much as I enjoyed their company.... the NASCAR did nothing by ways of stimulating my brain. If anything, it drew me deeper into resentment.

(did I say resentment? I don't mean it to come off that harsh. I love Rhena more than anything, and I feel so fortunate to be such a big part of her life, and her in mine.... I'm just getting a little nutso not knowing anyone here, or having any friends to invite over for dinner, or anyone to meet up for a freaking cup of coffee. SO I'm not resentful... I'm just wishing I was fully acclimated here with friends and stuff.)


but now that NASCAR is behind me, and I'm back on track with exploring this funky little town... I'm feeling good. I like this place. I like the feel, the smells, and the looks. I needed today.... and I'm excited about where I will go next week. Sure, I still don't have any friends here, but real friends (the kind I've been lucky to have in my life through NJ, Daytona, Seattle, and Reno) well... real friends take time to get that way. So until then, I'm excited about all that Charlotte has to offer.

Hell-- I'm even excited about swimming tomorrow, cause I have something to talk to someone about other than what Rhena's poop looks like.

4 comments:

Susie said...

That is beyond great! I'm so glad you had such a great day! There are so many more ahead of you.

And don't forget the other place where you have made some pretty great friends. Can you imagine if we all hadn't "met?" I'd be talking to myself and have no hair left.

Enjoy your dinner - sounds sooooo good!

Marianna said...

You're killin' me. I'm still fasting, ready to eat my innards & you're describing the feast-o-plenty over there. Darn you, woman!

On a nicer note, when I was stationed in Italy (lol, heard this story before?!), I got to see them make Venetian glass. It sure is spectacular! I went to one of the islands off of St. Mark's Square in Venice. I do need to go back! Wanna come with?!

:)

CheekyMoo said...

I'm always fasting because I had six chins, so these yummy blogs are especially painful. But I really like them because you make all food sound delicious. And it's nice to know you're getting your groove back. Moving is so hard! I hope you can find some normal folks at all swim to chat with.

Carrie said...

thanks, gang.

the kind thoughts are appreciated.... visits would be better, but hey--- I'm taking what I can get!