Monday, March 21, 2005

Contending Thoughts

ok, gang---


it's another week, so as promised, I have a new set of contenders.

Before we get into the match-up, though.... I will say that I watched the Contender last night. and, true to form... I was emotionally hit when I found out that the guy who lost the match last night is no longer among the living. He had an adorable daughter, and I immediately was overwhelmed with sadness that this baby girl would grow up without a daddy.

My sadness soon turned to sickness, though. Troy and I looked up the guy online, and sure enough... he committed suicide. My sickness and empathy turned to a roaring anger as I layed my own little innocent baby in her crib. I'm furious at the idea of Rhena being denied growing up with her father, but perhaps if this man was so selfish he needed to take his own life then maybe his girl is better without him.

I don't want to get into a philosophical debate about whether or not suicide is justified..... I imagine that there's a large population of folks out there that have either known someone who has committed suicide or possibly entertained the idea themselves. I do not intend to belittle the gravity of the problems and or depression that pushes a person to take their own life....

I just think that suicide is a cop-out, and rather than 'solving' the problems of one individual, it creates even more for the survivors. But then again, I also can't imagine not finding one single thing to find worth living for.

Bottom line... With suicide, it's sad, and I really don't think anyone wins. Unlike this week's match-up. There will definitely be a winner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
»