Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Down for Maintenance

so I know.. CLEARLY something has been going on over here.

lately... I've been a little down. Not the huge depressing sad way I was when Rachel passed away.... but still... down.

I have lots to say and share, but meh... just haven't had it in me. no blogging, no baking, not e-mailing or sending letters... just... going through the motions kind of.

but I'm working on that.

I think we've just about settled into our new routines for the year. By the power of all things holy associated to time management... we only really have ONE major task each day. Rhena has school on monday, wednesday, and friday... *I* teach class on tuesdays, and then we have to get Rhena to dance school on thursday. So really.. not bad at all. not too overwhelming, but definitely that kick in the ass such that we have to get out of the house every day.

Danny has been behaving better... I think he's happy to have his one-on-one time with me back. Not that we johnson women tend to be CONTROLLING or anything.. but I think Rhena tends to push him around a little when she's here.



And he's SUCH a moo moo. love him, I really do. and HE loves his girlfriends. he's got a few regular ladies he sees here and there, and MAN he throws on the charm for them. He's also perfected a 'wounded' look these days... so make no mistake, he's got the flair for drama like his sister. I haven't caught him looking in the mirror while practicing crying and sad faces yet... but he sure does love an audience.

As for Rhena... well.. she turned four. That's just nuts. The things she says and asks me about are mind-boggling. We have one more appointment for her nose coming up... a while back in august we had one of her nostrils cauterized to stop the incessant bleeds she's been getting since birth. It wasn't a pretty process, but the results have been amazing for the one nostril that was done. So we've opted to get the other side done so she can (hopefully) be done with her nose bleeding 5 or more times a week.


I looked into the work I need to do to get Rhena into kindergarten next year (what open houses we needed to attend, what registration forms and/or applications we needed to fill out) but alas... next year will be the first year of North Carolina implementing a new cutoff date for minimum age of school entry. Currently she is within the cutoff by about 4 weeks to spare... next year she will MISS the new cutoff by 2 weeks. That has been a tough pill to swallow for me. I've exhausted myself trying to find some loophole or testing process that would allow her to progress to kindergarten next year with her peers that she has been attending school with... but no luck.

meh. All will be fine.... it was just one more thing on the pile.

The election has been weighing on me very heavily. but I'm not ready to go there right now. Let's just say I've seen a LOT of stuff I don't like, and sadly... not enough things have been done or said that I feel I can believe in. but whatever. I'm not going there now.

NOW.... I'm going to get off this thing and flip the laundry and rassle the group to go food shopping. and prepare my lesson. and finalize my pitch for someone to get them to donate to the cancer walk. oh, and you know.... do the parenting thing. apparently the kids need supervision during the day. WTF is up with THAT?

Take it easy, crew. I'll be around again.. eventually.

11 comments:

Kirsten said...

This time of year is crazy. Getting back into a routine feels good, but takes getting used to.

Your kids are ADORABLE!! And you have great taste. My son has that same shirt and I adore it. My daughter has that dress too and it's one of her favorites. Too cute!

Anonymous said...

take all the time you need mama. we'll stick around!

and omg rhena is looking like a little girl now!

Anonymous said...

Sending love and hugs and all the good stuff that I know gets ME through some days. I'm with you.

Marianna said...

Oh my gosh, your kiddos are just adorable!

I heard something on the radio this morning about the elections that disturbed me. Serious ignorance by this one candidate. Blech.

Hey, I hope you got something small from me in the mail. The company was having issues sending it to your addy, so I hope it got to you.

M~

Anonymous said...

Well know I love you. Sorry you've been having tough days...I'm here if you need me.

Anonymous said...

And oh yes...your kids are GAWGEOUS!

Liza said...

your kids are so beautiful! I love rhena's curly hair and don't get me started on danny's grin!!

i'm sorry you're so bleh and sad right now :( i feel ya. hope things look up soon!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you a little before midnight out here in Denver. Mike's probably peeved I'm not off the computer yet...but we still love each other. It's good to read about your life...I'm sorry you're down...we all get there...sometimes more often than not...and sometimes it's due to sleep shortage..When you have 3 minutes (like a parent of 2 kiddos ever does), call me. Much love.

Denver

Mom2Amara said...

I can understand the craziness. ((hugs)) we're rooting for ya!

Anonymous said...

You've earned your share of downtime & maintenance! You spend so much of your time taking care of others.....

My gosh Carrie - your kids are gorgeous! How did you get them to sit so still and smile on cue? The pics really came out perfect - where did you get them done?

Kerri Anne said...

I'm sorry you are feeling down, babe. Thinking of you.