Friday, June 17, 2005

no... the nose does know!

ok... sorry... I SWEAR this will be my last post about noses!!! ....maybe.

First off... I'd like to announce the winner of the Cartoon Calamity..... by a decision of 13 to 3....

Hong KONG PHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEY!!!!!



I know... stupid. but it's me, so there ya have it.


MELISSA has this thing now where she makes people list three things when they're leaving comments... and yesterday's topic got me thinking. no... fear not... I'm not going to make y'all list shit... I'm happy when I just get a comment... much less expect any of you to really WORK in them!!!

anywaaaaaays.... the topic was something along the lines of what celebrities did you idolize growing up, and whether or not you had their posters hanging in your room.


This reminded me of a crush I had, which may just very well be the root of my strangeness... or at least explain why I don't think there's a damn thing wrong with my nose.

Ladies and Gentlemen.... I had the BIGGEST crush on Barry Manilow.


yes... I had my 2XL stocked full of Barry's 8-tracks. ....my Holly-Hobby record player knew his grooves inside and out. I WAS Mandy... and I came and I gave without taking. ....I wore feathers in my hair and a shirt cut up to there. ( yes, I know Lola's dress was cut DOWN to there, but I was a KID, for crying out loud.... my parents would NOT let me wear anything low-cut!!! SHEESH!!) ...I fantasized about Rico and Tony and really believed that Barry knew my soul.

I even wished on a turkey bone one year that I would become fatally ill as a child so Barry would come and visit me. (PS... the whole wish-thing-on-the-turkey-bone does NOT work... as I survived my childhood with very little illnesses and had no such visit from my idol...)

Over the years my undying love faded and moved on to Simon LeBon from Duran Duran and Jon Farriss from INXS.... I drove my parents crazy with the music, concerts, and Duran-INXS-EVERYTHING..... and so it goes... my life as a teen-aged girl.

In college I discovered real boys and club music, and never looked back. But the older I've gotten, I've found I'm able to think on the musical influences that surrounded me growing up.... and really appreciate it. Granted, having real money to BUY all of this said music has also helped... but my point is I love all sorts of music now... (but do not have any posters hanging in my house. ) ... I'd go so far as to say I like pretty much every genre of music now... well .... except maybe country. a few songs or artists here and there, but generally speaking... not so much.

But despite my wide variety of likes now...... I've always kept a small place in my heart... a real soft spot.... for my Barry.....
nose and everything.


Looks like we made it, Barry.... looks like we made it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

See, since you have NO idea who I am (and since you admitted to a Barry Manilow obsession), I feel compelled to share my strange obsesssions too! Aren't you lucky!

I was super obsessed with the Beatles when I was in HS. I graduated in 1997 mind you, so they were old (and/or dead) by then, but I still loved em. I was kind of living in the past though--I wanted to marry a circa 1968 Paul McCartney.

Whew, I feel better. I need to comment on total strangers' blogs more often!

Marianna said...

You just brought a tear to my eye... I'm remininiscing. (how EVER do you spell that word?!)

Sighhh... I need a moment!

M~

Dottie said...

Oh MY.....Barry! You couldn't have been Mandy, I was Mandy!!! I used to stand on my bed, all decked out in Mom's clothes and belt out Mandy with such intensity! LOL (Mine was on a Holly Hobby record player too, in my Holly Hobby room, I was sooo cool! LOL!)

I also did a killer rendition of "The Tide Is High" by Blondie! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Melissa said...

Barry Manilow?? LOL! Have you watched Saving Silverman?

scrappintwinmom said...

First, isn't Barry gay? Help me out. I've always wondered about that. Second, I WAS A TOTAL DURANNIE myself, and Simon was my Duran-er of choice as well (jinx! buy me a coke!)

And thirdly, who told you my MIL had a moustache?? Dude, you're scaring me.

Thanks for coming by to visit, your comments always make me laugh!

Sadi said...

I found your blog, while blog hopping...don't know the true source. But I can't post for the first time w/out acknowleging the nose comment. What a rude wierdo, that person must be from S. Florida where all the big jerks come from!! I think you are beautiful!!
Okay now I feel as if I might be able to read your blog in peace. LOL

Susie said...

Uh-hm *cough* IlikedBarrytoo *cough* Except he "wrote the songs" for ME cause he "is music and he writes the songs." I still like hearing him sometimes. In college we'd have group drunken depressed nights where we'd turn out the lights and listen to Barry by candlelight. JESUS we were FREAKS.

My first crush was in 1st grade on Shaun Cassidy... Da doo run run run, da do run run.

Beyond that I had a HARD CRUSH on Jon Bon Jovi. And Eric Clapton and Springsteen.