Thursday, March 17, 2005

Erin Go Buy a New Bra!!!

hey gang, and a happy St. Patty's day to ya!!!!!

Well, it's a fabulous day for those Irish and those who wish they were. I mean... even this crappy weather we have today can't dampen my spirits! Granted, this St Patty's day won't be celebrated with the gusto and verve of Pat's Days past..... (to which my liver is beyond grateful!)

But regardless of the amount of spirits Rhena will make me avoid consuming this year, I'm still warm and fuzzy. After all--- my mom was a Murphy before accepting the Czernikowski title..... so I know for sure I've got me some green blood.


So to my fellow Murphys ( and O'Connors, and O'Rileys, etc etc) out there... I understand your passion. For the easily sun-burned skin, for the freckles, for the endless meals of potatoes.... damnit... we deserve a day to drink and celebrate!!! At what point the day stopped being about the lack of snakes and more about pinching, drinking, and all things green, I'll never know. I know I'm personally glad for today's version of the holiday----- somehow hanging with your friends chanting "no more snakes!!!" isn't as appealing as crooning to "Danny Boy" while pounding down some Guinness and Jameson's at your local Fado's or Kell's Irish Pub.

But to the posers.... and you know who you are----- We forgive you and accept you none the less. I'd say I don't understand why so many people who have absolutely NO TIES to the motherland insist on wearing green and drinking their faces off, but I myself have been known to drink a Negro Modelo or four on Cinco de Mayo... and I sure as hell ain't Mexican.

I mean, let's face it--- everybody loves a good party, and we Irish know how to throw down. What other time can you sheepishly go to a bar the next afternoon to retrieve your forgotten credit card (and subsequent $127 bar tab) and be congratulated for a noble attempt????

Yes..... party we can. Some people may disagree with my pride in being able to drink, but I think that's where you can tell the difference between us real Irish folk and the band-wagoners. You got to admit it's a hell of a better way to spend your time than those silly Norweigans playing with flying lawnmowers. but I digress.

The fight is still on for the St. Patty's Day showdown... don't forget to cast your vote!

Well----- my little lass is a' callin... so I leave you with this.

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rain fall soft upon your fields,
and until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

1 comment:

Marianna said...

Happy St. Patty's Day!

:D

M~