Friday, June 25, 2004

Sobering Thought

I'm guessing there comes a time in every (wo)man's life when you realize that your idea of 'fun' is directly related to the amount of alcohol you've consumed.


I say this, dear reader, because last night pretty much sucked. Oh--- I got my fix of kettle corn, and stuffed a few onion rings in my mouth... there was lemonade (freshly squeezed, of course)..... but there was something..... missing.


what was missing was fun. Now before you get your panties in a bunch and say how I can create my own fun... all the crap that high school guidance teachers tell the dirtbags.... before you do that, I want you to entertain the idea that FUN is not necessarily a notion, an activity, but what I like to call an alcoholic filter.


This filter is a beautiful thing--- it allows you to ignore the fact that no other town in America has a higher concentration of red-necked white trash than the very one you've willingly decided to call home. It allows you to only hear five of the 500 decibels being created from a dirt-laden child two feet away from you.... it also helps you to filter out the apparent and crass stupidity of pretty much everyone. In some cases, my friend alcohol even makes the aforementioned situations funny. It's especially handy in public gatherings--- maybe even moreso in family reunions.


But the point is--- last night was no ordinary Farmer's Market.... well--- perhaps it was. I just saw it through sober eyes. Despite my primal urge of hunger being more than satiated, the farmer's market wasn't as much fun as I remembered it. I suppose there's a lot of other stuff that's 'just not the same' since I've gotten preggo. (which would, of course, explain why my husband and I don't 'go out' as much.)

oh well--- I got my kettle corn. We spent a LOT less money. And--- we were home in time to watch jeopardy. Sometimes you just have to focus on what goes right.

No comments: